Monday, July 9, 2012

Goose Island Summertime




I traveled through Northern Illinois and Chicago last week and I came across a couple of beers that typically aren't available to me in my home state of New Jersey.

Goose Island Summertime is produced by one of the more prominent micro breweries in the Midwest.

Established in Chicago in 1988 Goose Island was one of the first brewpubs in the country. It is easily comparable with Gordon Biersch which also started out as a brewpub in Palo Alto in 1988.

My experience with Goose Island is very favorable. The Honkers Ale and 312 are outstanding beers.

This is a pleasant tasting beer, but it lacks any specific distinguishing taste characteristics. The neck label indicates that this beer is to be served in a Kolsch glass (whatever that is). I tried, but I just couldn't locate a Kolsch glass in Sterling, Illinois where I happened to run across this brew.


The term "summer beer" obviously means different things to different people and brewers. In this case we get a lighter tasting, slightly lower alcohol beer that is very palatable and is going to be appealing to a large number of people.


I happen to feel that a brewer of a "summer beer" should take advantage of the opportunity to add some flavor elements that can distinguish the beer and tie in with some other tastes and flavors that we associate with the summer season.


Tom likes this beer and thinks that you will too (just don't forget your Kolsch glass).

No comments:

Post a Comment