Friday, June 29, 2012

Leinenkugel Summer Shandy

Having grown up and spent a considerable amount of time in the Midwest I am a big fan of the Leinenkugel family of beers, particularly their Red Lager.


Similar to the Spoetzl Brewery of Shiner Texas, the Leinenkugel brewery of Chippewa Falls Wisconsin is one of the great regional brewers to have survived prohibition and the depression. Although Leinenkugel is owned by SABMiller, they are not actively associated with the other beers marketed by the huge global brewer. It is actually difficult to locate any of the Leinenkugel beers on SABMiller corporate website. I did not find any reference to the Summer Shandy on the SABMiller website at all.


It really doesn't matter what their corporate affiliation is, Leinenkugel produces great beer.





Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy is favorite of my daughters, my wife and my niece who is staying with us this summer. I also enjoy this beer but the lemonade flavor comes on a little too strong for me.


It seems to be a challenge for brewers to develop a summer beer that adds the appropriate amount of “summer flavor” without overwhelming the taste of the beer itself. However, it is obvious that creating a “beer that doesn’t taste like a beer” has strong appeal to certain demographic groups.
I still prefer my beer to taste like beer, but I won’t pass up a Summer Shandy if it is offered to me.



Tom likes this beer and thinks that you might like it too.

No comments:

Post a Comment